Stress has a significant impact on our health. Our social life, work, and other activities continuously demand attention and participation. As a result, we fail to rest our brains and bodies by taking time off. Thanks to Kinesiology, which is able to identify stress in our muscles and employ relaxation techniques to relieve tension and boost our health, mood, and overall well-being. In essence, there are several other applications for Kinesiology. Keep reading to learn more and discover where you can study Kinesiology in Australia and United Kingdom.
Table of Contents
What is Kinesiology?
Kinesiology refers to the study of body movements mechanics with the aim of evaluating the health of all systems and organs. Students are taught how to incorporate a holistic approach in conjunction with Psychology, Biomechanics, and Anatomy principles to assist patients in improving and repairing their physical mobility. It also utilizes several other healing therapies to enhance recovery.
Kinesiology operates in a range of other fields, including rehabilitation, physical education, sports and exercise sector. The main objectives of studying Kinesiology are to increase joints mobility, enhance relaxation, improve muscular endurance, exercise training, and correct body posture and alignment. It also aims at maintaining coordination, balance, and control.
What does a Kinesiologist do?
A kinesiologist works with clients in a variety of settings, including clinics, teams, in studios one-on-one sessions. The specialists use weights, exercises, and stretches to help patients restore their health, keep fit and avoid injury. Soft skills such as coaching and leadership enable kinesiologists to build long-term relationships with their customers. Such connections and the potential to help individuals enjoy life again are among the most satisfying elements of a Kinesiology career.
As a specialist, you can undertake assessment measures and establish exercise therapy programs to meet the clients’ needs, referred to you by a nurse practitioner or a physician. Psychology, exercises, occupational therapy, therapeutic activities, recreation, and art therapy can all be included in the programs. All you need is the willingness to help others. This will make your work easier and allow you to grow alongside them.
What is the Study of Kinesiology?
The study of Kinesiology focuses on body movements from biological, psychological, and physiological perspectives. Kinesiology is a broad field of study that educates professionals for a variety of jobs. Some graduates use their degrees to pursue careers in physical education, and others as athletic instructors. Some students consider kinesiology to be a pre-medical major. Graduates can also pursue professions in biomedical research or work in a variety of professional programs.
There are five major specializations in Kinesiology.
- Physical Therapy- Involves massage, lymphatic drainage, reflexology, therapeutic recovery, and other procedures to help individuals retain their physical and emotional health.
- Exercise Science- specialists work as trainers or coaches and sports teachers, instructing individuals on how to stay in shape, engage in exercises, and participate in sports. Most graduates end up as personal trainers, with one-on-one customers. An exercise physiologist is a good option for graduates with additional experience.
- Nutrition and Fitness- specialists learn to stop allergies by combining sport, supplements, and vitamins. The aim is to help patients keep a healthy body and mind. Most graduates go on to become dietitians, nutritionists, and nutrition therapists since kinesiology and nutrition are both classified as health sciences.
- Health and Wellness- degrees in kinesiology can lead to a career in the health and wellness industry. Most private and public firms use wellness experts to ensure that their employees are happy. The underlying knowledge of physiology, nutrition, and anatomy that a kinesiology student has allows them to teach and directly aid individuals by fostering healthy everyday practices. You can also work as a community health worker. Here, you are employed by nonprofits and healthcare organizations, where you do outreach to underprivileged populations.
- Teaching- graduates can work as teachers in a variety of contexts, mainly in physical education. A postgraduate degree might lead to a career as a kinesiology professor in universities. Professors in this field must be licensed to teach and typically hold a doctorate in the field. You can also work as an outdoor teacher or instructor by assisting people in participating in outdoor recreational activities while being safe. To work in this role, you must have substantial outdoor experience and be physically fit.
Where to Study Kinesiology?
Below is a list of some of the world’s best Kinesiology universities. The quality curriculum, skilled lecturers, and a large number of students enrolled in and graduating from Kinesiology programs make these schools stand out.
|University Name||Location||Course Name||More Information|
|Monash University||Australia||Bachelor degree (honours) - Physiotherapy||Course Information|
|The University of Portsmouth||UK||School of Sport Health and Exercise Science||School Information|
|Australian Catholic University||Australia||Sport and exercise science||Sport and exercise science|
|Victoria University of Technology||Australia||Functional Kinesiology||Undergraduate course|
|Teesside University||UK||BSc (Hons) - Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation||Course Information|
|The University of Salford||UK||Bsc (Hons) - Sports Science||Course Information|
Online Kinesiology Courses
There are only a few online Kinesiology courses available and are mainly at the Master’s level. For Bachelor’s graduates already working as kinesiologists and wish to further their studies, taking online programs is a convenient option. Students can better organize their lives and strike a balance between employment and study thanks to the flexible timetable. Online Kinesiology courses are an excellent study option as long as you meet deadlines and stay on track.
Internships in Kinesiology
The top learning institutions support students who want to do Kinesiology internships as part of their studies. Health and wellness companies, colleges, and hospitals are common places where graduates can find opportunities. With hands-on experience, they learn ways of using their skills and expand their knowledge.
Internship programs can also be found on famous websites like Glassdoor, Linked In, and Indeed. You should read the program requirements before applying to ensure that you know what is required of you. Always seek more information if you are unsure, so you don’t regret your decision later.
If you enjoy being physically active and working with people, Kinesiology courses are excellent. They lead to meaningful careers that are both enjoyable and financially appealing, which is a rare combination today. You can become an expert and help individuals keep fit or regain their confidence and health after an injury if you are prepared to put in the effort and dedication.